A Brief History
Sacred Heart Senior Secondary School, Dalhousie is a unit of the Delhi Province of the Sisters of Charity of Jesus and Mary (SCJM), an international religious Congregation, started in Belgium in the year 1803. The Congregation was born in the aftermath of the French Revolution in response to the needs of that time. The war had left untold miseries: huge financial loss, countless number of orphans and widows, mental patients, sick people, physically disabled, and the like. A notable young priest, Rev. Fr. P.J.Triest, in charge of the parish of Lovendegem, Gent, was touched by this deplorable condition and took the initiative to remedy the situation.
Eventually, a small group of women joined him in his endeavor to alleviate this human suffering through caring for the sick, looking after the orphans and teaching the young for the love of God and humanity. This group of women was eventually recognized and legalized as the Congregation of the SCJM, whose mission it is to reveal that God is Love. They achieve this through various means such as education - formal and informal, health care and social services.
Geographically, the Congregation of the Sisters of Charity is present in Belgium, the Netherlands, Ireland, the United Kingdom, Italy, Congo, South Africa, Central Africa, Rwanda, Mali, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Pakistan and, of course, India. There are about 400 SCJMs living and serving in various parts of India.
It was more than a century ago that the sisters of charity decided to start a boarding school at Dalhousie. The pioneering Sisters who had come from in 1897 had already begun charitable services in Lahore, then part of great India. Their earnest desire to share the Christian message of love and be at the service of humanity through education irrespective of caste, creed, gender and culture urged them to move on to un known territories. History tell us that the choice of Dalhousie, small hill station endowed with exquisite scenic beauty but remote and accessible only through narrow, dangerous hill roads by tonga and doli,was a daring adventure. Thus the branch in Dalhousie was planted on February 21,1901 . Initially it was a residential school for girls and boys .
Once established, the school recorded a slow but steady growth of pupils over the first decade, As the years rolled on, the school expanded physically – the campus was enlarged, new buildings were erected, games fields were created and gardens laid out. The present extensive and attractive complex of the Sacred Heart School atop Potreyn hill is a living witness to its growth over the years.